Sunday, May 22, 2011

Goodbye, Ellie...

AJ and I were married in July of 2003. I moved to Vegas to join AJ who was already living there as he had another year or so left of school I was in a new city, newly married and didn't find a job right away. AJ was working and going to school, so I was at home a lot and lonely. Well, I started looking at getting a dog. By September of 2003 I found our first dog, Lucy. She is a rat terrier, chiuaua mix. She is the black and white dog. We loved her and thought she was pretty cute and fun.

But then, I got a job and then I got a second job. I was rarely home and if I was home, I was most likely sleeping. AJ was still working and going to school, so our new puppy was not getting a whole lot of socialization. So by June of 2004, we thought it would be a good idea to get a second dog so they could be pals to each other. And that is when Ellie, the white miniature schnauzer entered our lives.

She was a wild and crazy puppy and we just chalked it up to the idea that she was in the pet store for around 6 months. That is a long time in a pet store. We took her home and instantly she was the alpha dog. She was in charge. Now fast forward to April of 2009 and we now have our little baby Porter. Ellie was fine when Porter was a little baby but as soon as Porter could crawl, we had a minor incidence of Ellie getting very territorial of her bed that Porter had decided would be fun to crawl in to. I was devastated but just couldn't bring myself to admit that Ellie might do this again.

Unfortunately, she did a couple other minor times but truly, she and Lucy would often be locked in the basement all day when we were home as I just didn't feel comfortable if I was in the kitchen and the dogs were out with Porter in the living room. Then Maggie came along and now she is getting to a stage of rolling and will be scooting and crawling very soon. Ellie had to go. She just isn't the best with kids. She is loyal with all her heart to AJ and I, but saw the kids as a cramp in her loyalty to us. And that just wasn't going to work.

Lori, my mother in law, found a wonderful person (the lady who does her nails) that was interested in taking Ellie. It sounds like a match made in heaven. No kids at home and she will be able to fully spoil Ellie and I am sure we will get updates on her from time to time.


I will miss my Ellie dog. She was a fun dog and had the quirkiest ability to howl. It was pretty cute. Goodbye, sweet girl. I know you will be much happier with your new family.

My last picture of Ellie. She was getting groomed the next day. She was so shaggy!


 Ellie and our other dog Lucy. They rarely shared a bed.


Look at my new haircut! 




2 comments:

Sammie said...

My heart hurts for you Maryanne! I know exactly what you are feeling. Maisie was the same age as Maggie when we decided it would be best for Scooter and us, to find him a new home. Maisie was just a couple days shy of 4 months when our family friends took him over. It's hard, but it does get better with time and albeit a hard decision it was the right one for you and your little family. Praying for you!

Christi said...

That's great that you have so many good pictures of her! These grown-up decisions can be brutal.