Thursday, April 5, 2012

Differences.

When Porter came in to our lives, I like a lot of other new moms, was a little scared. What if I don't know how to handle this? Or what if he is colicky? How will I survive with only a few hours sleep? Will he latch? How do you breastfeed? What on earth an I doing?

Little by little, you take each challenge on and day by day you grow a little more confidence and pretty soon, your child is walking and taking a long nap and sleeping through the night and you look up and realize, I did it! This little baby is turning in to a toddler and you suddenly realize you don't need 50 items in a gigantic diaper bag to leave the house. You can throw them in the car and off you go.

Well, about the time we made it to that place with Porter, I found out I was pregnant. And all those same thoughts and questions came back. I had Porter and his quirks as a baby figured put but what was number 2 going to be like? And how would number 1 handle it?

And just like I did with the first one, I took it one day at a time. It has had it challenges and we still are adjusting as we will be the rest of their lives, but I feel like I am really close to picking my head up and looking around and wondering where did my babies go?

Porter just turned 3 and wants to help with everything. We actually have conversations and he makes me laugh and I make him laugh. Maggie is a pistol as we have known all along after her birth. She is 14 1/2 months and really close to walking but knows full well what she wants. She is verbal, very verbal. And once she starts walking, my baby days are over. But that isn't what this post is all about. It's about how P and M are different.

I guess I was a little naive to think my kids would be similar in personality. But looking at my siblings and I, we are all very different. What was I thinking?

Porter is sweet and tender hearted. He gets hurt pretty easily but loves to snuggle. He is super active, loves sport and is very attached to his "bankie" (blanket).

Maggie on the other hand is a go getter. She loves to swing at you and hit. It is more of a love pat but she gets excited and whacks you a little too hard sometimes. She loves book and I often times find her in her room amongst the books she has pulled off her shelf. She wants to have and do everything Porter has or does but can't because she is 1 and he is 3. And she is attached to nothing.

Porter hated his carseat and we ended up turning him at 11 months. (shhhh...) Maggie is still rear facing and could care less.

Porter started crawling at 8 months, Maggie was 11. Porter walked at 14 and Maggie is almost there but may be 15 months.

Porter had very few words till he was 2 and Maggie has a bunch of words. She is also very demanding and knows how to sign all done and will do so if she doesn't want you to sing anymore or tickle her or read to her.

Porter had our undivided attention till he was 21 months. Maggie currently lives in Porter's shadow but if I had to predict, Maggie is going to be running the show with all the boys we hang out with.

We went to the beach this last week for Spring Break and the kid count was six to one, one being Maggie! She's gonna have to learn how to run with the big dogs to keep up!

It has been fun to see more and more of P and M's personalities come out. They are a lot of fun, super cute and keep me on my toes more than I ever wanted but I am blessed and thankful for both of them.

No comments: