Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Some days...

You just need a soft, warm fleece and the world seems alright.

Every fall when we switch to Daylight Savings time, I realize just how cold it is. Less sunlight and usually rain and I just want to snuggle deep in my bed.

Well, I have a fleece that I pull out and wear in times like this and it warms me right up. For many reasons.

January 2011 Maggie was born and rushed to the NICU. I was transferred to her hospital as well but checked out after two days and she still was looking at a week plus stay. So each night we had to say goodnight and go sleep and be away from her. How I ever did this, I'm not sure. I only slept because of sheer exhaustion.

One of the many things my mother in law did for me this week was ask if I needed anything from home, clothes, make up, whatever. As I looked down at my post partum body and was bummed to still look pregnant and none of the clothes I packed seemed adequate to boost my mood, I asked for a new pink sweatshirt. Somehow the color pink made me feel connected to my baby girl in the NICU.

The next day Lori arrived with two pink clothing items: a pink hoodie and a pink fleece. It was a gift from heaven. In my mind, I was overwhelmed by Maggie's health and future, our van had broken down and I could only imagine the doctor and hospital bills so new clothes weren't something I knew I could rightfully spend money on. So the two pink items were a blessing. I wore them everyday and felt like a brand new person.
I still have both items today and when I wear them, I marvel at where God has brought Maggie and us. His promises are sure and never failing. His love knows no depth or boundaries. His arms never tire of holding us. He has got our back. 

So when I'm feeling cold, down or just need a good reminder, I pull out my pink fleece and the world seems right for a bit.