Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Perpetual cycles

Life is one giant perpetual cycle full of lots of other cycles. Hurry up to wait. Steady eddy. The early bird gets the worm. Our planet is spinning while we live and breath, all the while our heads our literally spinning.

But what I get caught up in is the drive and the things we do for good reason. All make sense but then in the huge scheme of things, what does it really matter. For example: I am walking across the street and it starts raining so I decide to run to get out of the rain and allow the car waiting for me to cross sooner. But does my jogging five feet really make a difference in their day and schedule? Does it really hasten me out of the rain quicker? I ran faster through the raindrops, so I feel I am just as wet as if I walked. Why can't I just enjoy my moment and not be affected by other's haste?

Perpetual cycles. The dishes get dirty. The dishes get clean to then be dirty again. We create garbage and each week have to pull it out to the street to be disposed of. I tell my kids to eat faster, run to bed or quick, get in their carseats (we know this never will happen but we say it anyways). And yet, what is the hurry? Hurry up to wait. Life only slows down when we let it.

Planning each minute. Calculating each experience. Creating each moment. This doesn't allow for slowness. This doesn't allow for relaxed enjoyment. As I enter into the Thanksgiving and Christmas season, here on November 13th, I am feeling overwhelmed and I don't want too.

I want to be intentional. I want to savor my kids at 1 and 3 and the holidays through their eyes. I want them to enjoy the moments and feel free as a bird and as childlike as possible. I don't want them to feel the hustle bustle we as adults create.

I want to break some perpetual cycles. I want to slow down, contemplate and enjoy. Family, friends, newness, fondness, traditions and lots of laughter.

Deep breath in 1-2-3. And now exhale.

1 comment:

Red said...

Well put and how I feel many times as well. Trying to learn to be thankful and enjoy God's blessings in the moments that I feel are chaotic. "His mercies are new every morning." - a scripture reminder that God isn't "stuck in cycles." Thanks for being real sis.