Thursday, November 11, 2010

Swimming lessons


Jana was going to sign up Finn for parent/tot swimming lessons and asked me if Porter would like to do them as well. I said yes as both AJ and I felt this is something important to introduce him to at an early age. So on a Saturday morning, Jana and I and the boys, got up early and went down to the Kroc Center, waited in line and registered our little boys for swimming lessons on Tuesdays and Thursday at 5pm. Since I work on Tuesdays, Lori said she would take Porter and we would pick him up and then on Thursdays, I get to take him. It actually feels really good to be in the pool as a pregnant person. But all the dressing, undressing for a 30 minutes class is hard. But we do things for our kids because we love them and know it is good for them despite how much work it may be for us.

The class goes by quickly but our teacher is great. She gives us some good ideas of how to get the kids more comfortable in the water and help them not fear floating on their back. I still haven't mastered that. One of the things AJ learned all to quickly very shortly after we were married (we were on our honeymoon in Mexico!) is that I could not swim. Over time AJ has taught me and in the event of an emergency I probably could survive and swim to save my life. Before, I would have sunk to the bottom like a rock. So I value Porter at a very young age getting comfortable and learning how to float and blow bubbles under water.

We are about halfway through and I would say Porter has gotten more comfortable in the water and the Kroc center has a great kid pool. I am sure we will continue to give him lessons through the years and hopefully he will be a swimmer just like his Daddy!

No comments: