Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wishing and hoping...



Something not everyone knows about me is my love for cars. Well, I guess more specifically, a certain car. It is not just any car, it is a Jeep Wrangler. Ever since high school, I have wanted to own one. I had pictures and posters up in my room in high school and college. I collected remote control cars and Matchbox cars that were Jeeps. My email is jeep_luver. I wanted jeep_lover but it was taken so I did a spelling variation so I could have this email address. One year for my birthday, my dad made me a Jeep cake. I have an infatuation.

I still want to own someday and AJ has said we may, someday. I imagine when I am 65 and retired, we will buy our RV and tow a Jeep behind. So many times when I see Jeeps driving around I have noticed the driver is an older male or female and always wondered why so many older people drive Jeeps. Well, I guess that will be me as well someday
I have had some fun Jeep adventures even though I have never had one.

One of my most recent Jeep adventures was about 2 1/2 years ago, the entire DeBacker family went a on Caribbean cruise. Our second stop was in Cozumel, Mexico and we had decided to do a Jeep tour of Cozumel that took us to the beach for snorkeling and then a few other cool spots along the way. It was one of the coolest things I have ever done. There were 4 of us in a Jeep and one of us got to be a driver. So AJ, Al, Lori and I had one Jeep (a beautiful red one) and they let me drive. The top was down, the sun was shining and it was such a beautiful day and we drove. Off to the beach and sites to see. It was so much fun! Ahhhhhh.......a Jeep on vacation.

Another one was about 8 years ago because it was while AJ and I were dating but Jeep put on a Jeep test drive course that was a traveling type show. You would sign up on line to be a part of the traveling event and would get an invitation in the mail to be a part of this test drive. Of course I signed up one so I could get lots of fun Jeep marketing mail and even more so, so that I could test drive a Jeep!! I signed up for a time on a Saturday, invited AJ to come and off we headed to Portland International Raceway to this 4x4 course they had set up.

It was cool, amazing and fun. You have your choice of models to test drive. I, of course, picked the Wrangler and climbed on in. There is a drive instructor with you who tells you what gear to put the Jeep in and how to maneuver the course. The Jeeps were automatic transmissions which was a bummer but it was still fun driving over logs, rocks, boulders and up and down some dirt hills. Also, you could walk around and see all the Jeep merchandise and pick up some more glossy, picturesque brochures. Of course, they are just trying to sell you on the Jeep and its suspension features and the overall ruggedness of the Jeep. I was sold a long time ago, just don't have the funds.

Another great story was for my 25th birthday, two of my good friends at the time borrowed one of their friend's Jeep and I got to drive it around all day as my own. We ran errands, went to lunch, got tattoos and had fun with "my" Jeep for the day. Such a fun birthday present!

This all brings me to this last random fact about myself. Another true love of mine that goes hand and hand with Jeeps is Monster Truck Rallies. I think they are the coolest things. Now, don't think I have turned all hick and redneck on you. I do love a good beer but I do not have a bunch of non-working cars in my yard or a mullet. But I do love a good monster truck rally with lots of gas fumes and loud loud noises. I have only been to one and it was a total blast!!

This is something that AJ and I are very different on. He likes fast sporty cars and the larger the horsepower, the faster it can go, the more impressed he is. For me, it is the bigger the lift and the bigger the wheels the better. I adore Jeeps. So here I am wishing and hoping for one...someday.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Maryanne, you know I am right there with you!! My first car was a Jeep Wrangler, '89, sky blue, hard top, straight six manual transmission. Oh, how I miss my Jeep! I had so much fun modifying it and making it my Jeep. Sadly I had to sell it, but like AJ, Tim has promised me that he will buy me one again someday. Its what I hold on too!!