Saturday, November 5, 2011

If I have to work...

I am thankful for my job. When AJ and I moved back to Salem, I had just graduated from beauty school and I started looking for a job at a salon so I could start building my clientele. I found a salon that hired me as an hourly/commission employee. This sounded ideal as I was just starting out. So off to work I went. At the same time, AJ and I were trying to start a family and AJ was working as an instructional assistant at North High School. I had to work the weekends and into the evenings. I was loving what I was doing but I just wasn't seeing any results on the paychecks.

My father in law was looking for some help in his office so he hired me on a very part time basis and I started working in the insurance field. I was just doing basic office things and then I decided to go ahead and get my insurance license. January of 2007, I decided to start working full time for Al and cut back to very part time at the salon. I decided if and when we had kids I wanted to be able to have my evenings and weekends with them and our family. I didn't want to have to worry what my paycheck would look like every month and I really wanted way less drama and tension in my life. Working at a salon or the one I was working at was pretty high stress!

That was almost five years ago and I haven't looked back. I ended up quitting the salon January of 2009 a few months before Porter was born. I decided to do hair on the side on my own time. Then after my maternity leave with Porter I went back to work part time, 3 days a week. 

I love my boss, I love my coworkers, I love my hours and the dependability of my income. And I love being able to leave work at work.

No comments: